Education for Life
Dr. Maria Montessori believed that the goal of early childhood education should not be to fill the child with facts from a pre-selected course of studies, but rather to cultivate his/her own natural desire to learn. Montessori believed that children learn through their natural curiosity and the exploration of their environment.
“The most important period of life is the first one, the period from birth to age six,
for that is the time when man’s intelligence itself,
his greatest implement, is being formed.” -Dr. Maria Montessori
Based upon scientific observations, Dr. Montessori came to understand the inner nature of the child:
- The child is a dynamic, curious person that has an inner drive to discover the world.
- The child comes to know the world through the senses.
- The child has an inner discipline.
- The child learns based on their interests.
- The child repeats activities until they are fully mastered.
- The child is naturally orderly and focused.